So I honestly had no idea all of this "Judgement Day" stuff was going on until yesterday once it was posted all over facebook. When you're a mom...the morning news is out and Curious George is in :). Anyways, I remember a while back my mom and I seeing the Judgement Day billboard by Meijer in Cedar Springs. I honestly thought it was a just a talk radio topic.
Last night I was able to hang out with my super cool sister Shelby after a girls night of watching 80's movies. Her and I raised a few questions. What should this "prediction" do for us? How should our reaction be after today to others who did believe? What about our reaction to those non-believers who now will want nothing more to do with Christianity? and many more questions.
I hope I don't step on anyones toes here but I do have an opinion on our reaction. It's saddening to see and hear fellow believers tear into those who are predicting todays end times. Is that how we should be reacting? As Christians, should we be commenting on how stupid these people are, how crazy they are or how doomed they are because their theology is so screwed up?
Here's a passage for you... 1 Thessalonians 5
"Now, brothers, about times and dates we do not need to write to you, for you know very well that the day of the Lord will come like a thief in the night. While people are saying, "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, as labor pains on a pregnant woman, and they will not escape. But you, brothers, are not in darkness so that this day should surprise you like a thief. You are all sons of the light and sons of the day. We do not belong to the night or the darkness. So then, let us not be like others, who are asleep, but let us be alert and self-controlled. For those who sleep, sleep at night, and those who get drunk, get drunk at night. But since we belong to the day, let us be self-controlled, putting on faith and love as a breastplace, and the hope of salvation as a helmet. For God did not appoint us to suffer wrath but to receive salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ. He died for us so that whether we are awake or asleep, we may live together with him. Therefore encourage one another and build each other up, just as in face you are doing....Live in peace with each other. And we urge you brothers, warm those who are idle, encourage the timid, help the weak, be patient with everyone. Make sure that nobody pays back wrong for wrong, but always try to be kind to each other and to everyone else. Be joyful always; pray continually; give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you in Christ Jesus."
What should our reaction be to today? One I think it's okay to look at todays "prediction" and ask yourself "how is your relationship with God?". I do think that our reaction to Campings prediction should not be mockery...but we should throw ourselves in prayer for him, his followers and those who are going to be greatly and deeply affected by todays "prediction".
No comments:
Post a Comment