Monday, March 14, 2011

Raising Godly Kids ~ Day 23

I started this new daily devotional. As the majority of my day is spent with my kids I thought it would be very helpful to start my days with a devotional about my kids. The book is called Raising Godly Kids by Harold J. Sala and I love it, I especially love starting my day with it. I did one on Friday morning. I decided to take the kids to the new McDonalds playplace and so I grabbed an orange juice and did my devotional while they played. The title of that days devotion was "where did my kids learn this?" It talks about a few situations where parents have reported their kids doing something unacceptable because they are supposed to be Christians. Dr. Sala reports, "the sad thing is that so many parents ASSUME they are communicating values when in reality they are allowing the values of our environment to shape the lives of their children".

He then goes on to explain all the "most powerful" influences in our childrens lives today. He talks about the Media, extended family, peers at school and even teachers. The media is self explainatory. The talked about making sure your extended family knows how you plan on raising your kids because sometimes even grandparents can be a negative influence in your childrens lives (but they have to be there :)). Peers at school was an easy one to assume too and then he talked about teachers. How teachers these days just try and get through the day with no issues as opposed to taking the time to really teach values to their class (I am not saying this is true for all teachers b/c the teachers I've dealt with so far are AMAZING and feel they do take the time to teach values). Dr. Sala quotes "it's easy to blame the media, our children's friends and the educational system for our children's poor behavour when the real cause is our own parental failure".

As he was talking more about the "school influence" he talked about the importance of parents being home. He assured his readers that he's not trying to make anyone feel guilty, especially is not working is not an option...but he's just stating the facts. This is what he says, "In nearly fifty percent of our homes, children are spending some period in their lives living with only one parent. Often, long hours, inadequate quality time and the lack of an authority figure leaves a child on his own much of the time. The major influence become youthful friends. An empty house, unsupervised activities and boredom combine to bring out the worst in a child striving to find approval and support by his/her peer group".

So many of the time I feel worthless just being a stay at home mom. There are days I feel like a terrible failure, lazy and unworthy of anything. This day was one of them and after reading this I was reassured of my purpose and ministry in my kids' lives. This feeling often comes too with brian being so slow at work and my worrying about finances but God gave me such peace this day that I am doing what He wants me to be doing. This was my prayer...
"Heavenly Father, Right now I'm sitting in the McDonalds playplace listening to my kids play. I spent $8 on breakfast and all I can say right now is thankyou. The sound of my kids laughing and playing reminds me how blessed I truly am. You have given us so much that we continually fail to thank you for. I am so grateful for me being able to stay home with my kids. There are days I feel so inadequate and worthless but todays devotional confirmed my purpose and worth. Even as our kids get older and attend school full time it is so important for me to be there with them. Because you have made it possible for me to stay home I get to be that Ultimate Influence in their life and that I pray will be surrounded by you...your love and your goodness. thank you Lord."

No comments: