I was sitting in a court room today with tears streaming down my cheeks as I watched one family being torn apart. I watch those who I know still love each other dearly rip another loved one to shreds. I watched children turn their backs completely on their mother...the mother God entrusted them to and as I whitnessed this tragedy my instant thought was to pray for those children because it was obvious their hearts were far from God. As I sat there praying I put myself in their shoes and in their mothers shoes.
I remember when my parents went through their divorce. It was a heartbreaking experience and one I wish upon no one. I remember the woman my dad married. She was AMAZING (when I was eight). She was young and in style and she loved to shop and spoil us girls. It didn't take long for my heart to grow selfish and greedy. My mom (single and hardworking) couldn't afford things for us...but she knew how to love. But for me at that age...I didn't care about that...I wanted the immediate satisfaction of "things" and "status". I turned my back on my mom. I remember one mothers day giving my step-mom a Mothers Day card as opposed to my mom. How immature...I know. It took me a while but I finally realized that I was not obeying God by my actions toward my mom.
I look back now and am still in awe and amazement at how unbelieveably strong my mom was and still is. Through two of her daughters turning their backs on her she sat there and turned her other cheek. Patiently loving us unconditionally...no matter how we treated her. How blind I was by my evil heart and desires to be known as the "popular" one, "best dressed" or "one with money". I would give anything to go back and see what God would have done with my heart if I realized then that love was/is the most important thing I needed.
So sitting in that court room watching these kids tear their mom apart trying to get money from he broke my heart.
Then, as I sat there praying still for the kids hearts, I put myself in their moms shoes. That's when the tears came. This mom is loving and caring. She's not abusive, a drunk, a loser...she hasn't abandoned her children or turned her back to them...yet she sat there and turned her cheek...loving them unconditionally and patiently. My heart ached for her because I can't imagine sitting in life with those I love so dearly speak so distastefully against me. Sitting there watching her heart ache brought me back to how my mom was. Except I'm older now and can see how much my mom had to of hurt patiently loving me.
Mom...I love you. Thank you for loving me so patiently through my immature and selfish years. Thank you for having faith in God that he would return my heart to you. You are a strong woman and a great woman of faith that I look up to so greatly. You are irreplaceable!
Wednesday, January 12, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Stac -
Oh how much we have both grown over the years. God certainly used that time to teach me so many lessons. It's through the valleys that we grow, right? I certainly grew a lot through those years.
I love you so much and I am so proud of the woman, wife, mother, and daughter that you are.
xoxo
Mom
love you too mom :) soo sooo much!
Post a Comment