So my last personal challenge was for my husband. I did 30 days of doing something for my husband to let him know how true my devotion is to him. My new challenge is for my kids. I'm going to be re-reading Dr. Dobsons "The Wonderful World of Boys"...I love this book. And as I read through it again, I'm going to try and get something out of it...meditate on it...apply it and really try and learn about my kids...all boys! However, if you're reading this challenge and decide to do it with me...this book is also about parenting so it'll help you too even if you have girls.
"Parents need to 'play offense' to capitalize on the impressionable years of childhood by instilling in their sons the antecedents of character. Their assignment during two brief decades will be to transform their boys from immature and flighty youngsters into honest, caring men who will be respectful of women, loyal and faithful in marriage, keepers of commitments, strong and decisive leaders, good workers, and secure i ntheir masculinity. And of course, the ultimate goal for people of faith is to give each child and understanding of Scripture and a lifelong passion for Jesus Christ. This is, I believe, the most important responsibility for those of us who have been entrusted with the care and nurturance of children."
In the beginning of this chapter he writes about how there is no greater privelege in this world than TRYING to raise your child properly. I really like that word because ultimately they will make their own decisions...it's really just our responsibility as parents to TRY and raise them according to God's standards and learn to entrust our childrens lives in the hands of God because he ultimately has the outcome...not us (although we think we do sometimes).
There are only nine chapters in this book but tomorrow I'm going to be posting one whole section on disciplining which I love how Dr. Dobsons worded it and agree fully. So that is why it's turned into a ten day challenge.
So my goal for today (being a rainy day) is to be patient. Love my kids with action so that they know they are loved so dearly. Discipline with love and of course do a craft b/c it's rainy :) Thanks for reading!
Wednesday, September 1, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment