I started to read Chans book called Crazy Love. I wanted to make sure I read through it slowly because it seems like all other books I just breeze through to say I read it or never really took my time and really dug into it. So with this book I decided I would go slowly and try to get as much out of it as I can. When I began reading it, actually after the first chapter, I realized that the book makes you do that anyways...it's constantly telling you to put the book down and think about things or to re-read this chapter once more or go to your bible and read this chapter. This specific posting is about one of the chapters in the book that was very eye-opening to me. enjoy...
Chan goes on in the beginning of this chapter talking about two different kinds of people...natural worriers and naturally joyful people. He says he can't help it that he worries a lot especially when it concerns furthering God's kingdom. It's okay to stress and worry about issues concerning God right? "but then there's that perplexing command: 'Rejoice in the Lord always. I will say it again: Rejoice!' (Phil. 4:4) You'll notice that it doesn't end with '...unless you're doing something extremely important.' No, it's a command for all of us, and it follows iwth the charge, 'Do not be anxious about anything' (v. 6)."
This is what was very eye-opening for me. I think I often get caught up in the stress of life but justify it because I am a Christian right and often times I'm doing things for others. This is what God is saying is not ok. Chan goes on to say, "When I am consumed by my problems - stressed out about MY life, MY family, and MY job - I actually convey the belief that I think the circumstances are more important than God's command to always rejoice. In other words, that I have a 'right' to disobey God because of the magnitude of my responsibilities."
One other of my favorites from this chapter is this...
"Worry implies that we don't quite trust that God is big enough, powerful enough, or loving enough to take care of what's happening in our lives. Stress says that the things we are involved in are important enough to merit our impatience, our lack of grace toward others, or our tight grip of control."
So today I'm going to encourage myself to truly REJOICE in the Lord in everything I do. This was Brian and I's prayer last night that today we would rejoice in everything. I need to rejoice in my kids. I need to rejoice in disciplining them, changing Matts diapers, making lunch and cleaning them up. Folding my laundry and comforting their cries. Brian is dealing with two guys at his work that have just gone through terrible divorces and others who are unbelievers. So we prayed that he would rejoice in their complaining...which sounds dumb but he's found his life to be so greatly blessed through their experiences which leads him to rejoicing. In everything God should be praised!
Friday, August 27, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
Thanks Stac for the great post!! Stress is always an on going thing in my life and your post is a GREAT reminder on how to transform this 'stress' into a way of rejoicing.
Post a Comment