Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Week 2 of the 30 day challenge

So...how did last week go? UMMMmmmmmmmm...not the best...but good enough for one week. The beginning of the week went great...everyday I honored my husband by caring for our kids, cleaning the house and doing my everyday tasks along with the little extras I set for myself to accomplish that strictly focused on my husband. However, Saturday night came and it all went downhill. It was my goal to not say anything negative the entire week. Well Saturday night while i took a bath he wanted to get my opinion on what he should say in Church the next day...he didn't like my opinion...probably because I gave it WAY too much. The only good thing that came out of it is, because I focused on praying for my husband that week and my attitude (not his), I recognized what I was doing and was actually able to humble myself to apologize.

I never realized how many negative thoughts I even had about my husband which made myself so mad. The other day I was folding "Mt. Cotton" (the name brian gave out couch b/c there was so much laundry on it) and I was frustrated, talking to myself saying, "why can't he just turn his socks right side out"...then it hit me...I get to do this. I remember Sue Kahlers son, Jesse, giving a message years ago about Sue doing her husbands laundry with a good attitude...reaching in the dirty, sweaty, nasty socks and pulling then so they're right side out, taking shirts and turning them right side out. Jesse asked her why she does that and Sue's response was, " I get to do it". That has always stuck with me to this day. I should be grateful daily and in everything that God chose such a wonderful, loving and dedicated man to protect me. Even when it means constantly taking clothes out of his closet and putting them in the dirty clothes bin, constantly re-rinsing the dishes, constantly folding and putting away his clothes, constantly cleaning hair from shaving off the bathroom counter and floor...I should constantly be honoring him physically and with my attitude...inside and out.

So my challenges this week:

Monday - Finish "Mt. Cotton" with a good attitude

Tuesday - let him be outside to do whatever he wants to do (fix tractor, haul wood, read newspaper, etc.)

Wednesday - Fix his favorite dinner (texas toast french toast, hash browns and sausage) and leave him another "prayer note"

Thursday - Do a devotion with him and have a family dinner at the table

Friday - Have a date night at home...movie and dessert while cuddling on the couch

Saturday - allow him to go fishing again

Sunday - take a family walk together and praise God for his amazing creation

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hmmm... I for sure struggle with Mt. Cotton as well! And I totally understand about the socks but you're right and Sue K. is right. We GET to do it and it's a blessing that we have such hard working wonderful husbands that have dirty socks for us to clean! Thanks for the reminder! Your weekly schedual looks good to me! I think I'll add, "let him work on his chicken coop as long as he needs to" for Tuesday's list. And for sure the Fishing sacrifice on Saturday! Good luck!
CW

the berenbrock 5 said...

yeah...it's crazy though how often I forget the "I get to do it" part. Like I said, I found myself thinking negatively about him with out actually saying anything b/c of those issues. Maybe they can go fishing together or so something...it's supposed to be rainy :(