Alright ladies...I need advice and as much as I can get. When I got pregnant with this last one (Benjamen) I was very excited about being able to really cherish every step (which has rarely happened b/c of the three other children running around). I was also very excited to nurse him for as long as I wanted without any interruptions. Well my plans do not always work out...in fact they rarely ever work out.
With all of my kids I've had a yeast infection in my breasts and ducts (not mastitis). With each one it's gotten worse and with this one it's extremely painful. It's not your typical pins and needles feeling when my milk lets down...it's like a giant contraction in my boob. I can't breathe through it...it makes me stop what I am doing and sometimes it's made me cry. With the first two pregnancies I didn't do much about it but with Matthew I saw my doctor about it. She prescribed Diflucan. I was to stay on this for two weeks and at the end of the two weeks it didn't do a thing. I stopped early with Matthew and cried so hard about it b/c I didn't want to stop. So I went back to my doctor last week and told them every symptom I had and once again they have prescribed me Diflucan. Typically with medications you're supposed to feel somewhat of a difference once you're on them right? Well I don't even kind of feel better.
I decided to do some reasearch on yeast infections in the breasts and changing my diet to help it go away. Turns out it's almost impossible to get rid of it. IF I wanted to change my diet I pretty much have to starve the yeast in my body TO DEATH!!!. Meaning I cannot slip up once. The diet is absolutely NO sugars. So no breads, pastas, dairy and even some vegetables have some sugar in them. They described that if I slip up once they I just fed the yeast in my body and now they are active again!!!! OH and you have to stay on this diet for six months to make sure you've completely rid of the yeast and that is without messing up even once. Ahhhhhhhhhhh!
I seriously do not know what to do. I could push through it for 7 months and dread nursing. But I don't want to do that. I wanted me feeding time with him to be calm and a bonding experience for us (even though 1/2 the time I'm yelling at the kids across the house b/c they figured out they can get away with anything while I'm nursing). Or, I can give it up and switch to bottle feeding so that our feeding time is calm and a bonding experience. BUT I don't want to do that either...because I feel like I would lose out on some times because then anyone could feed him...not just me and he wouldn't be so dependent on me.
So as you can see...I'm stuck. I need encouragement and advice on how you might think I should go about this. Thanks friends!
Monday, July 25, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Stacie, I am so sorry to hear your having this issue :( My advice would be switch to a bottle. I think you can still bond with your son feeding them a bottle and save yourself a TON of stress. I think going on that kind of a diet and NEVER slipping up is kind of impossible, and would personally just make me more grumpy :)You need to be happy and enjoy these moments with your family, and being miserable is definitely not gonna let that happen. I'll be praying for piece of mind with whatever decision you make :) Have a great day!
Can you ask your doctor for a different med? Or is starving the yeast the only option? Have you checked kellymom.com? I think they have message boards where you could ask other nursing moms if they've dealt with that kind of thing. Those people are hardcore so they might have some other suggestions. I understand how sad you must be to think of giving up nursing, but like Niki said - it's not gonna be the sweet, bonding experience you want if you're in killer pain. :-(
Stacy with my 1st I had trouble healing from child birth and they wanted to put me on a medication that I couldn't nurse while on, so I had to decide which was more important to keep nursing or to be able to heal so my hubby and I could be together again, it had been 5 1/2 months since my daughter was born. I decided it was best for me to stop. To this day I resent that I had to stop but I also know it was the best desision for me at that time. With that said you will have to decide if this pain is something you can keep living with or not, since the diet seems pretty impossible. Maybe you could set a amount of time like make it to the 6 week mark with nursing then switch to the bottle. Also does can you pump with less pain? If so maybe just pump and feed him that in a bottle?
Hey Stac, I don't know if this would be possible for you to do but I go to this breastfeeding support group every Monday at 1230 and I've found it EXTREMELY helpful. I too was at my wits end and ready to give up breastfeeding. There are always 1-2 lactation consultants there to answer questions and help you. I go to the one through Saint Marys downtown, and they also have a meeting on Fridays too. Also, spectrum offers the same thing on Tuesday's and thursdays I believe. You're welcome to come with me if you'd like. If not, then I would definitely call your doctor right away and tell them that the diflucan isn't helping at all. Is what you have called thrush? If you'd like I can share your story today and see what they suggest? Best of luck!
Stacie,
While my situation is a little different; mastitis twice, pumping after failed nursing attempt with the twins, the heart issues are the same. I wanted to give them what was best, bonding time with mom and good breast milk. I've had to face the fact that my God makes up the difference. Even though other people can help me feed them, they are getting love, even though they have to have formula, God blesses the nutrition to their bodies. And now that I am not in pain or stressed about having to pump, I'm a much happier, sic, better mom. The time we spend together is quality time and we all enjoy it. God will make up the difference, let it go, don't try to be in control, and enjoy your kids/babies. If you are happy, they will be too.
I'm so sorry Staci. I've had nursing issues with both my girls and it makes what is supposed to be a wonderful time for mother and infant miserable. A few helps I can think of: Have you tried Nipple Guards? They are clear, silicone guards that the baby nurses through and it prevents thrush (yeast) from transferring from baby to mom so easily. Have you had Ben checked for thrush? It may not affect him at all, but can make you have infection issues. I had major issues with Emma-I thought I had mastitis several times, I didn't, but had severe pain, and cracked nipples. The nipple guard was a life saver! Also, you can take OTC acidophilus supplements (found naturally in yogurt) to counteract overproductive yeast in your system. One other thought, do you have a pump? Again if it's coming as result of baby, you would know within a matter of days with pumping, if not having baby on the breast solves the problem.
Stacie, I'm sorry about this. I would try to meet with a lactation consultant/nursing support group. Talk with your doc about possible different meds. For the mastitis use a warm compress before every nursing. For your older boys create a nursing basket of special treats or activities they can only play with while you nurse. Good luck, nursing is such a joy(it should be) but it can bring so many challenges.
Thanks girls! All of your encouragment has been great. I am not ready to give up yet. Ashley I might look into attending one of those groups if I can do it once :) it would be way too much to attend weekly with the other three kids. I will try the OTC and other remedies because i honestly think of the pain I would have to go through in quiting...engorgement and pumping (which is actually more painful). My goal is to make it to six months (seems kind of stretching it) but I have decided I would rather go through this pain and enjoy the "joys" of nursing one last time as this is our last one! UNLESS God has other plans...but through nursing and a vasectomy I SHOULD NOT get pregnant :)!!! Thanks again!
Post a Comment