Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas Decorating for the "cheap"




I've heard from several that they just can't decorate their house because of difficult times financially. So I decided to give a few cheap ideas...some very free depending on what you already have. Posted are pictures of what I've done in my house to make it feel very much like the season. Above is a picture of four pinecones connected to ribbon and gel window clings below. The pinecones I got at Dollar N' More in sparta for $1 and the string was a $1 at Michaels. Now if you have pinecones in your backyard go that route...it's cheaper. No pinecones and no money?? Clip some fresh evergreens from your yard to someone you know, tie ribbon around the ends of them so they are hanging upside down, hang an ornament from the middle of it and hang it from your windows. I did this idea above in all four of my dining room windows and my bathroom window.
Below in the photos I have vases that I replaced my fall flowers with naked tree branches and evergreens. I hung some small Christmas ornaments from them and added some sparkling gold ones in as well.
The vases with the red and gold beads. I hot glued some gold shimmery ribbon around the entire vase and criss-crossed some solid gold ribbon around it as well. The red and gold bead sticks were each $1 at Michaels. Take advantage of Michaels coupons and sales.
The centerpiece for my dining room table. Spray painted pinecones in a triffle bowl that I don't use very much. I like to hang my candy canes so it's fun for the kids to find and get but you can totally get rid of all candy canes. However you could string candy canes from your windows:)!
Can't afford Christmas lights on the house?? Save your coffee tins, paint tins, formula tins etc. Poke holes in them to look like stars, christmas trees, ornaments etc. and place outside on your porch with candles in them.
Another cheap window display. Buy very sparkly ornaments and hang them from your windows. I have snowflake ones in my living room and at night the lights of the tree make the snowflakes sparkle beautifully.
Just go out in your backyard into nature and find what you can do to make your home a little more in the Christmas spirit.
I'll post more as I go. Hope this is helpful to those who can't afford the BIG Christmas!

No comments: