Friday, December 12, 2008

The Answered Prayer

I was sitting this afternoon thanking God for the many things in my life. Yes, even this terribly long pregnancy that is making me miserable. However, I realized one prayer request that He answered and I was so overfilled with joy because of it.

One of my biggest struggles and biggest prayer requests for the last 10 years or so was my relationship with Brians mom, my now, mother-in-law. Her and i have not gotten a long ever since Brian and I started dating. She is very protective of her boys (she has three boys...just like I will soon) and I wasn't really what she had in mind for her son. I really don't know if her and her husband are saved or not but they attend a Christian Reformed church. Although they do this, they weren't the happiest when I came into the family as a baptist. Apparently I was changing Brian and not for the good. Still they are the type of family that has parties, drinks, swears and basically doesn't live in fear of the Lord. I wasn't like that at all. So to make it short...I wasn't their plan for their son. This became a huge prayer request, because my relationship with her brought nothing but fights, tears and pain.

While I was praying today I realized God has answered that prayer...tremendously. Will I still pray for our relationship? Absolutely, because there are still times when I'm hurt but I've learned to deal with it quite well over the last ten years. But now, we talk daily. Is the most of it meaningless talk? Yes. Not like my mom and I can talk but I'm so happy that Donna and I can have a conversation daily and not fight of offend each other. She really is a wonderful woman who would do anything for her kids and grandkids. She loves her grandkids and I believe outside of God's work that they are a main part as well in the mending of our relationship. I'm thankful for her and her availability to see the kids during the week whenever she wants to. I'm thankful for her desire to take the kids alone on mini-vacations to the cottage in Silver Lake. I'm thankful for her random acts of kindness and love.

How cool huh? It's always such a blessing to see a prayer answered. This is a prime example as well that is wasn't on my timing. Ten years later and we finally have a decent relationship.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Stacie:

I'm glad to hear of this unexpected and very real answer to your prayers for healing in your relationship with Brian's mom. It's never easy being "The other woman" in a man's life but it is such a blessing when you both can get along for the most part and enjoy life as family. :D I hope you are well and that we will hear good news about the baby very soon!!