Tuesday, August 19, 2008

The Thump Test

"The good man our of the good treasure of his heart brings forth what is good; and the evil man out of the evil treasure brings forth what is evil; for his mouth speask from that which fills his heart."
~ Luke 6:45 ~

Max Lucado once wrote about the way a potter checks his work. When he pulls a pot out of the oven, he "thumps" it. If there's a good, ringing sound - if the pot sings - it's ready. But if there's just a "thud," the pot is put back into the oven. As Max wrote, a person's character is also checked by thumping.
Late-night phone calls. Grouchy teacher. Grumpy moms. Burnt meals. Flat tires. "You've-got-to-be-kidding" deadlines. These are all thumps. Thumps are irritating inconveniences that trigger the worst in us. They catch us off guard. Flat-footed. They aren't big enough to be crises, but if you get enough of them, watch out!
Jesus said that out of the nature of the heart a man speaks (see Luke 6:45). There's nothing like a good thump to reveal the nature of a heart. The true character of a person is seen not in momentary heroics, but in the thump-packed humdrum of day-to-day living.
How do you respond to "thumping" - to the knocks and blows and trials of life? Do you sing? Or do you thud? Your answer depends to a large degree on what your "pot" is made of - what's in your heart, as Jesus said.
But even if you have a tendency to thud more than sing, take heart. There is hope. We can learn from thumps. We can be aware of "thump-slump" times, like "blue Mondays," after a holiday and such. No thump is a disaster. All thumps work for good if we are loving and obeying God.
I decided to share my devotional this morning because I literally just sent an email to my mom...complaining about how we can't get ahead financially, Brian woke up Sunday with a flat tire and yesterday out air conditioning broke. This was perfect for me today. Thankfully my mom knows my heart and understands me but I think of the others in my life who don't know God. They believe he's there (I think because they feel they have to) and they pray when they need Him, but they don't know Him...they don't share their lives with Him...or have a relationship with Him...at all! I think of them and this is very convicting. How do I react to such little things in life? Do I complain, grunt and groan or do I "sing". Do I praise God in everything...even in the littlest things in life...not big enough to truly matter? These people in my life need to see me "sing"...not yell and complain. Like Pastor Christ said on Sunday...people need to see Christ through you and your actions and in your decisions.
Have a great day.

1 comment:

~joanne said...

WOW Stacie great post! Great reminder!

Was Pastor Christ there Sunday? *Ü*