Monday, August 25, 2008

Launching Our Arrows

So once again I was doing my devotions and I thought it was so good...I'll share it with you again. It's entitled, " launching our arrows".

"Like arrows in the hand of a warrior, so are the children of one's youth."
~Psalm 127:4~

I find it interesting that the Scripture describes children as "arrows" because arrows are meant to be released. As we raise our children, we are responsible to prepare them to live independently. All of our efforts as parents are made with the knowledge that, eventually, these "arrows" will be flying on their own. We make a conscious effort to give them skills in living and in making godly choices.

There's an important characteristic of an arrow: it is an offensive weapon. God wants every Christian to make an impact in our world for Christ, and He wants us parents to emphasize this vision as we raise our children.

Sometimes as a mother I feel like there is so much pressure and so many goals to accomplish in raising kids...especially boys (such a high expectation of raising godly men). However, this devotional gave me great perspective on what my ultimate goal is. Preparing my kids for their own mission field, wherever God has them going. Sure it's extremely important to raise them to know and love the Lord, but if that's already a daily practice in your home and with your kids, it shouldn't feel like a "pressure" or "thing to do". If I evidently love the Lord daily on my own, with my husband and with my kids, as well as those around me, my kids will pick up on that and want the same. So through this devotional I've realized that my goal as a mother is to prepare them to live through faith. So that when I send William off to his first day of kindergarten and years later his first day of college, he stands firm in the faith he's established and won't fall from God...compromising with Satan. My goal is that when that day comes that he chooses to go to college that he views that as the beginning of his mission field.

No comments: